Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Daily Gospel & Reflection, Wednesday, April 24, 2013


Acts 12:24-13:5a
Psalm 67
John 12:44-50

Worship Song


Entrance Antiphon

I will be a witness to you in the world, O Lord, I will spread the knowledge of your name among my brothers, alleluia. (Psalm 17:50; 21:23)

Opening Prayer

Father, you raised saints to be outstanding defenders of the truth of Christ’s divinity. By their teaching may we grow in your knowledge and love. We ask this…

Alleluia

Alleluia, alleluia. I am the light of the world, says the Lord; whoever follows me will have the light of life. Alleluia, alleluia. (John 8:12)

Jesus talks about his mission

44Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me, 45and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me. 46I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness. 47And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world. 48Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last day, 49because I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak. 50And I know that his commandment is eternal life. So what I say, I say as the Father told me.”

Reflection

“I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness.” ~ Jesus in v. 46

A group of Chinese Christian clergymen invited an American professor of Scripture to give them a workshop on the Bible. In the course of the workshop the professor asked the clergymen to pick out the episode in the Gospel that impressed them most. To his surprise, they did not choose the Sermon on the Mount, the crucifixion of Jesus, or the resurrection of Jesus. They chose Jesus’ washing of the disciple’s feet.

The choice of the Chinese clergymen fits in perfectly with what Jesus says in today’s gospel about his mission. He came to the world to be its light. In other words he came into the world to serve.

How well do we imitate Jesus’ life of service?

Reflection Credits: Fr. Mark Link, SJ; Daily Homilies

Prayer Response

Lord Jesus, be my light. “Shine through me and be so in me that every person I come in contact with will feel your presence in my soul.”

Action Response

Reflect on how your light can shine ever more brightly in your family, church community, and workplace. Put into action.

“The Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve.” ~ Mark 10:45

Silencing

We cannot know God unless we have listened to him in the silence of our hearts. Rest in the loving arms of the Lord with an open mind and an open heart.

For the other readings today please go to http://www.usccb.org/nab/

No comments:

Post a Comment