Thursday, April 18, 2013

Daily Gospel & Reflection, Friday, April 19, 2013


Acts 9:1-20
Psalm 117
John 6:52-59

Worship Song


Entrance Antiphon

The lamb who was slain is worthy to receive strength and divinity, wisdom and power and honor, alleluia. (Revelation 5:12)

Opening Prayer

Father, by the love of your Spirit, may we who have experienced the grace of the Lord’s resurrection rise to newness of life in joy. Grant this…

Alleluia

Alleluia, alleluia. Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood, remains in me and I in him, says the Lord. Alleluia, alleluia. (John 6:56)

Jesus speaks about his body and blood

52The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us [his] flesh to eat?” 53Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. 55For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. 58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.” 59These things he said while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

Reflection


Paul learned that Jesus and his Church are one.

We sometimes hear people say, “I believe in God, and I believe in Jesus, but I don’t believe in the Church.” Whenever we hear this, we want to cry out, “But there is no Jesus apart from the Church. The Jesus you’re talking about no longer exists. He died on Golgotha.”

The only Jesus there is today is the Jesus who rose from the dead on Easter Sunday. He is the Jesus who lives in the body of his followers. He is the Jesus who lives on in the Church. Trying to separate Jesus from the Church is like trying to separate a person’s head from a person’s body.

How firmly do we believe Paul’s words in his Letter to the Colossians? “[Jesus] is the head of his body, the church, he is the source of the body’s life.” (Colossians 1:18)

Reflection Credits: Mark Link, SJ; Daily Homilies

Prayer Response

Loving Father, help us present the Church and Jesus as one to the world. We ask this in the name of your Son.

Suggested Action

Ananias helped Paul get into the Church. Seek out someone who has left the Church. Try to bring him back to the fellowship of your community.

Silencing

We cannot know God unless we have listened to him in the silence of our hearts. Rest in the loving arms of the Lord with an open mind and an open heart.

For the other readings today please go to http://www.usccb.org/nab/

No comments:

Post a Comment