Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Daily Gospel & Reflection, Thursday, April 18, 2013


Acts 8:26-40
Psalm 66
John 6:44-51

Worship Song


Entrance Antiphon

Let us sing to the Lord, he has covered himself in glory! The Lord is my strength, and I praise him; he is the Savior of my life, alleluia. (Exodus 15:1-2)

Opening Prayer

Father, in this holy season we come to know the full depth of your love. You have freed us from the darkness of error and sin. Help us to cling to your truths and fidelity. We ask this in the name of your Son.

Alleluia

Alleluia, alleluia. I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord; whoever eats this bread will live forever. Alleluia, alleluia. (John 6:51)

Jesus Promises His Flesh To Eat

44No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. 45It is written in the prophets. ‘They shall all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me. 46Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father. 47Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. 48I am the bread of life. 49Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died; 50this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”

Reflection

“I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever.” ~ Jesus in v. 51

I know a man who is dying of cancer. Recently we journeyed to a distant monastery to fulfill a last request: to visit the priest who fostered his faith and inspired him to become a Catholic. We arrived at the abbey in time for afternoon prayer, and then my friend had a long talk with the old priest whom he hadn’t seen in years. Afterward, on the way home, my friend exclaimed. “That’s it! I’ve done everything I wanted to do. It doesn’t matter what happens to me now. I could die right now and it would be okay.” As we drove in silence it occurred to me that when he does die, he probably won’t even notice it. He’s caught up in God right now and dying won’t change that. Dying for him will be like both falling asleep and waking up at the same time.

Prayer Response

Do I fear death, my God? Or is it dying, the painful pathway that leads me to death’s door, that makes me afraid? Either way, Lord, you yourself have suffered and died, so I know you will die with me in my suffering and dying. In you, death is no death. Rather, death’s door leads to life. Jesus, may I always bear in mind the memory of your death and resurrection. Your promise of eternal life sustains me.

Suggested Action

Recall a time when you were caught up in God. What were the circumstances? What has changed for you between then and now?

Credits: Fr. Paul Boudreau, Between Sundays

Silencing

We cannot know God unless we have listened to him in the silence of our hearts. Rest in the loving arms of the Lord with an open mind and an open heart.

“Christian love, either towards God or towards man, is an affair of the will.” ~ C. S. Lewis

For the other readings today please go to http://www.usccb.org/nab/

No comments:

Post a Comment