Monday, April 22, 2013

Daily Gospel & Reflection, Monday, April 22, 2013


Acts 11:1-18
Psalm 42
John 10:1-10

Worship Song


Entrance Antiphon

Christ now raised from the dead will never die again’ death has no longer power over him, alleluia. (Romans 6:9)

Opening Prayer

Father, through the obedience of Jesus, your servant and your Son, you raised a fallen world. Free us from sin and bring us the joy that lasts forever.

Alleluia

Alleluia, alleluia. I am the good Shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me. Alleluia, alleluia. (John 10:14)


I Am the Gate

1“Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever does not enter a sheepfold* through the gate but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber. 2But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice, as he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice. 5But they will not follow a stranger; they will run away from him, because they do not recognize the voice of strangers.” 6Although Jesus used this figure of speech, they did not realize what he was trying to tell them. 7So Jesus said again, “Amen, amen, I say to you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who came [before me] are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. 10A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy; I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.

Reflection

[Jesus said,] “I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture.” ~ v. 9

When I saw Derek, I knew right away that he was going through a hard time. He tried to avoid me, but I stopped him and asked what was wrong. He didn’t want to talk about it, but I knew he needed help, so I got him to sit down and talk it out. “But Derek,” I said, “the Lord is guiding you through this.” All I got in return was a blank stare. So I tried a different twist. “Derek, God loves you.” Nothing again. No wonder he didn’t want to talk to me. All I had to offer was the standard religious line. “Gee, this must be really difficult for you.” He lifted his eyes a little and said, “Yeah, it is.” I asked him, “What are you going to do?” He turned to me and said, “I don’t know.” I said, “Wanna go to lunch and talk about it?” He said, “Sure.”

The gate to Derek’s heart was love, not answers.

Prayer Response

Dear Jesus, you always guide me to love. It was your love for me that first opened my heart to your presence in my life. Your love sustains me and heals me every day. You call me to love others as you love me. Teach me the ways of your love. Help me always to lead others to you through love.

Suggested Action

Find somebody in your life today who needs a good dose of love. Love that person the best way you know how.

Credits: Fr. Paul Boudreau, Between Sundays

Silencing

We cannot know God unless we have listened to him in the silence of our hearts. Rest in the loving arms of the Lord with an open mind and an open heart.

“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. For I shall not pass this way again.” ~ Stephen Grellet

For the other readings today please go to http://www.usccb.org/nab/

No comments:

Post a Comment