Friday, April 26, 2013

Daily Gospel & Reflection, Saturday, April 27, 2013


Acts 13:44-52
Psalm 98
John 14:7-14

Worship Song


Entrance Antiphon

You are a people God claims as his own, to praise him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light, alleluia. (1 Peter 2:9)

Opening Prayer

Father, may we whom you renew in baptism bear witness to our faith by the way we live. By the suffering, death, and resurrection of your Son may we come to eternal joy. We ask this…

Alleluia

Alleluia, alleluia. If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth, says the Lord. Alleluia, alleluia. (John 8:31b-32)

The Father is in Jesus

7If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” 8Philip said to him, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. 11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. 12Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.

Reflection

Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth* and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” ~ v. 6

I didn’t learn much about God growing up Catholic in the fifties. I spent most of my catechetical youth learning how to dodge the grip of Sister Frumetius. That woman had hands big enough to palm a basketball. Most often, however, she would simply palm my face. I used to come home with her fingerprints on my cheeks. She’d squeeze my mouth into fish lips while she screamed at me. The secret to surviving catechism with Sister Frumentius was getting the answers to the questions right.

So I did learn that we were created to know God, love God, and serve God. It must be important, then, for us to get to know Jesus, because if we know him, we know God. So I try to spend some of my time and money studying the gospel, serving the poor, comforting the sick, feeding the hungry, visiting prisoners, and so on. For as often as we do that for them, we do it for him. That’s how we get to know Jesus and, through him, God.

Prayer Response

Jesus, you reveal God to us through your own self. You show us through your words and actions. O Lord, may we become like you and reach out in compassion to the needy so that we may join you in your union with God.

Suggested Action

Look for God today in someone you might consider to be poor and lowly. Get to know that person better. Think about what you learned.

Credits: Fr. Paul Boudreau, Between Sundays

Silencing/Thought for the Day

“We want to give our children what we didn’t have; but let’s make sure we give them what we did have: our faith.” ~ Anonymous

For the other readings today please go to http://www.usccb.org/nab/

No comments:

Post a Comment